The October2011 Movement is planning an occupation and nonviolent resistance actions in Washington, DC starting on October 6, 2011. This date marks the 10-year anniversary of the U.S. war in Afghanistan and the first week of the new federal budget which provides unlimited funding for war, tax breaks for the wealthy and austerity for human services.
Thousands of people have pledged to gather in Freedom Plaza beginning on that day to nonviolently disrupt the disloyal, incompetent, and corrupt special interests which have usurped our nation’s civil and military power, spawning a host of threats to our liberty, lives and national security.
The October2011 Movement protests corporatism and militarism because they prevent solutions to our current crises which would create a more peaceful, just, and sustainable world from being implemented. Instead concentrated corporate interests rule our elections and political process so that wealth continues to be funneled to the top 1%.
US Day of Rage is calling for free and fair elections, not elections manipulated by the economic elite, special interests, or corporate media, where choices are limited to bought candidates and two corrupt parties. US Day of Rage is organizing with OccupyWallStreet to create a tent city in the financial district of New York beginning on September 17. October2011 and OccupyWallStreet have endorsed each others’ actions.
Legitimate government is born of the people expressed by its citizens in free and fair elections. It does not spring from a tyranny of special interests, crony capitalism, or a system or ideology that runs counter to the aims of life.
Free and fair elections inspire good citizenship and public service, because they engage the intelligence and genuine good will of the American people. They produce the kind of stewardship our nation desperately needs, because they ensure that citizens can influence their destiny, and make genuine contributions to society unlike our present system where the government moves in directions the majority of Americans oppose putting the profits of campaign donors ahead of the wishes of the American people.
Free and fair elections are steps towards remediating the myriad ills and abuses of a corrupt and illegitimate government, which preys on the resources and spirits of citizens, and violates rights of the other peoples and nations.
The October2011 Movement and US Day of Rage know that abuses of the people and planet will end when we take unified and persistent action. We stand in solidarity with each other and with the growing nonviolent movements around the nation and world to call for democratization of our society.
October2011 Movement, october2011.org
Margaret Flowers, 202-688-2444
Kevin Zeese 301-996-6582/ 518-543-6920
US Day of Rage, usdayofrage.org
Alexa O'Brien, (347) 687-3675
- We will live tweet Gen Assembly Aug 9 730p Potato Famine Memorial Vesey & North End Ave #usdor #occupywallstreet #sept17
- Interview with organizer of Tennessee's Day of Rage #usdor #usdorTN #aug2
- Tennessee Day of Rage is Tuesday, Aug. 2 #aug2 #usdorTN
- US Day of Rage | Help us placard and trend #occupywallstreet #usdor #sept17 in NYC and on Internet (pdf png & ai)
- US Day of Rage | Download and use the logo for T-Shirts, placards, whatever #usdor #occupywallstreet #sept17
- US Day of Rage | Statement of solidarity with action to #occupywallstreet #sept17 #usdor
- US Day of Rage and #usdor Launched on Twitter
- Free and fair elections remedy the ills and abuses of a government that preys on the resources and spirits of citizens.
Page 16 of 24